12:00 PM: Registration Opens
1 pm: Welcome to the Academy
2:30: Mind, Brain, Education (MBE) Science Session I
4:00: Brain Break
4:20: MBE Science Session II
5:00: MBE Science Translation Group Meeting #1
6:00: Welcome Dinner
8 am: Breakfast
8:30: MBE Teacher Power Strategies
11:00am: MBE Translation Group Meeting #2
12:00pm: Lunch (or yoga and lunch)
1:00: Student Speed Pitch
2:15: Brain Break
2:30: MBE Student Power Strategies
4:00: MBE Translation Group Meeting #3
5:00: Enjoy the DC area
8:00 am: Breakfast
8:30: The M&Ms of Research with Dr. Beth Morling
10:00: Brain break
10:30: MBE Deep Dive, Round 1
1:00: Lunch (or yoga and lunch)
2:00: MBE Deep Dive, Round 2
4:30: Brain break
5:00: Translation Group Meeting #4
6:15: Academy Barbecue with Book Signing by Deep Dive Faculty
8:00 am: Light breakfast
8:30: Deep Dive Round 3
11:00: Lunch and travel to Johns Hopkins University
1:00: Introduction to University-Based Research
2:00: Johns Hopkins Research Lab visits
4:00: Research Lab Debrief
6:00: Dinner in Baltimore
8:00 am: Light breakfast
8:30: The Teacher/Researcher: Disciplined Inquiry Framework
10:30: Brain Break
10:45: Research Translation Part I
1:00: Research Walk
1:30: Research Translation Part II
3:00-4:30: Closing Reflection and Commitments
- Memory (Dr. Mark McDaniel): How do we make what we teach and what students experience stick?
- Emotions and Learning (Dr. Sheila Walker): How can we better understand the connection between cognition and emotions to enhance learning?
- Beyond Growth Mindset (Dr. Christina Hinton): How can we get students to buy into and be co-curators of their learning?
- Feedback and Assessment (Dr. Ian Kelleher): How can we assess for deep learning?
- Executive Functioning (Dr. Pedro De Bruyckere): How can we help students become self-regulated learners?
- The Science and Practice of Improving Reading Comprehension (Dr. Daniel Willingham): How can we improve reading comprehension in fluent decoders?
Deep Dive Topics for School Leaders
- The Teaching Brain (Dr. Vanessa Rodriguez): What do school leaders need to know about the organ of their most important asset?
- Unleashing Greatness in Teachers (David Weston): What does effective professional development look like?
- Crossing the Chasm (Julie Wilson): How can school leaders reframe an entire faculty's thinking about teaching and learning?
Schedule is subject to modification. For more information, contact Julia Dean (email@example.com).